Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pura Vida en Grand Teton National Park

Translated, pura vida means the good life.  That's exactly what we intended students' experience to be during this program.  We wanted to expose them to the good life of nature, outdoor recreation in the park and potential careers that they can have when they grow-up.  We just completed our second year of Pura Vida programs in the park, a program that I created and facilitate in collaboration with Teton Science Schools.  As with any program, the second year is better than the first because you're able to work out any kinks and continue to strengthen the program.  The students of course have fun and don't realize the clockwork behind the scenes. All they know is that these programs are cool, they meet cool people and now many want to be park rangers and bring their family back to enjoy the same things they did.  We try to teach skills that they can carry with them when they come back and skills that they are able to transfer over to their peers and family members. 

Both middle school and high school students were great but this year the middle school group of kids stood out to me.  They were so energetic, attentive and interested in working for national parks in the future. As I sat around the campfire with those students one night they asked me to share my story with them, as many of the NPS Academy students and other park employees had.  I first defined the term Latino, Hispanic and Chicano with them because earlier that day one of the kids had called me a Chicano when I told them I was a Texan, born and raised there.  After a brief discussion and understanding of those terms, with the flames of the campfire in their eyes,  I then told them where I was from, how I grew up and how I got to where I am at today.  One question I often get from students is, "what inspires you?"  Usually it takes me a while to think about the answer but lately, my words come to me more quickly in that I respond, "My parents for working to give us a better life, just as yours' do.  My mentors and most importantly the students that I get to work with in programs like this."   As I finished up with this statement I looked into their eyes.  As they starred at me, one little girl, 12 or 13 years old looked at me and said, "Vanessa, we are proud of you." With a knot in my throat, I fought back tears because this is the reason I do what I do, to hopefully inspire one person.  That to me, makes the world of difference. This little girl came back the following weekend with her family and three other families with them to camp and enjoy the park just as she had done during Pura Vida.  

Keep on, keeping on,

Vanessa

P.S. - Here is a video of their adventures from the week:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=570507952067


No comments:

Post a Comment