Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The future of conservation - Connections, Diversity and Legacy. The NPS Academy.

Last  week, we (Grand Teton National Park) had the privilege of hosting the 3rd annual NPS Academy.  This program brought together 30 bright and truly diverse individuals to experience a week in a natural and wild place, learn about NPS career opportunities, learn about themselves as individuals but most importantly each other in this new community that they have built that they now call a family.   

Throughout the week, I had the opportunity to engage with students about where they are from and who they are.  Each interaction was an inspiration.  As we have talked about connections, diversity and legacy I couldn't help to think of my own connections and legacy to this diverse landscape. 

I came to the NPS, an excited naive individual who was ready to follow a passion of community development and helping people.  After a year as a permanent employee, I was able to link my two passions by creating the outreach programs we have today, including the NPS Academy.  

As I reflect back, I could not have done all that I've accomplished this far by being apathetic and certainly not by myself.  I have worked hard to be where I am by taking that extra mile to prove that I can meet any challenge and to prove those that didn't believe in me wrong.  I was not handed the opportunities that I received but worked up to them.  

I stand on the shoulders of my migrant worker grandparents, my parents who worked hard to make ends meet and to those pioneers like Cesar Chavez and those alike.  I most of all stand on the shoulders of the park rangers of diverse culture backgrounds that paved the way for us to not only do the work that I'm doing but for these students to participate in programs like these.  It is their legacy I continue as I leave my own.

As one of the achritects of this program, I'm thrilled to see the transformation that students have gone through in just 6 days. The ability to build community and willingness to share personal stories inspires me and assures me that we are doing something right.  If I were to give any advice to anyone it would be this, work hard and "bring it" every single day.  Be confident but don't expect things to be handed to you, you must work up to opportunities and prove people and yourself wrong- you can overcome any adversities that are thrown your way no matter how big or small they may be.  

I am truly humbled and inspired by each and ever one of you. Thank you for your commitment this week and as we move forward to the next phase on the program.

Grand Teton NPS Academy 2013 student video:   http://youtu.be/pukGX_bRYzQ

NPS Academy Class of 2013

2 comments:

  1. Vanessa, your work is an inspiration to all of us. I'm grateful every day to know that you are amongst our ranks. I know that each student you connect with will carry these experiences with them for a lifetime. Whether they choose the NPS or not, the lessons they have learned and richness they bring to us, will last us through this next century. Thank you to all that have made the Academy possible. Acadia thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa, you rock! I'm stoked to have been a part of the second Academy and to have met you as a friend and a great influence on my career desires!

    ReplyDelete